Wednesday, September 14, 2005

blogs are the new away message

so, i've been writing my blog for a little over a month now, and i felt like it was time to check in with myself. i am mostly interested in knowing if i am still writing in the realm of what i proclaimed this blog would and would not be in my very first post. for the most part, i think i am.

i've told a few stories, shared a few opinions, told you what i think you should be watching, and why the vma's sucked. i've also learned some things along the way, and that's what anything in life is all about.

in the course of writing my blog, i've found myself reading more and more of other people's, even some people i don't know from time to time. i find the originality of each one fascinating. everyone has their own style, and their own message, and it's a very enlightening experience.

in the post-college world, blogs are the new away message. fewer and fewer people can be found on aim each day (which is sad, because it is still a great way to communicate), but that's life, and because of that, we can no longer rely on the trusty away message and aim profile to know what's going on. blogs can give that to us, and so much more. i think you can actually learn a lot more about a person, and where they are in life, from the nuances of their blogs than you ever could from something spelled out in a profile.

so everyone out there, keep blogging, and i'll do the same.

p.s. i'm going to try some things to make for easier reading, but hesistate to mess with my aesthetic. i apologize for anyone struggling with blurry vision!

3 Comments:

Blogger that mckim girl said...

I don't know- you could tell an awful lot about me from my profile and away messages! And (depending on if I out up a message drunk or not) it was sometimes much more personal than my blog.

But you have a good point.

My mother warned me that I would probably lose touch with most of my best friends from college. I wouldn't say we are all as close as ever- some things have been lost in the translation- but blogs and emails have made it so much easier to keep up with each other. I love that.

2:02 PM  
Blogger BB said...

I have to agree with this. For sure, blogs and any other outlet of new media have made it all the more possible for people to be in touch, communicate or broadcast. But I can't help but wonder, wasn't part of growing up learning how to disappear - not to mention forget - those don't want to be in touch? Regardless, in a society where the one with the most information in the shortest amount of time wins coupled with an increasingly "curious" mindset, those who blog should feel apprehensive because Mark and anyone else could be watching, who's reasoning for doing so might be all the more telling.

(This is so not supposed to sound sinister!)

3:37 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Hey Mark - I totally agree. Blogs are the new away message in that both are simple passive aggressive ways of saying your piece and damning the consequences. The concept of saying something to the world, but not to anyone in particular is pretty dangerous, I think. You don't hold yourself responsible for the outcome. On the other hand, I wish everyone kept blogs, my friends and enemies alike. I like this non-invasive way of keeping tabs on people. It limits actual contact while maintaining a knowing eye.

Blogs are so the new black.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home