Thursday, September 22, 2005

random acts of kindness can be overrated

given the option, i have decided that i prefer to use a revolving door rather than a standard door. why? because i don't have to worry about holding the door open for the person who may or may not be behind me.

on the same token, should someone else be guilted by the laws of etiquette to hold a door open for me, i am doubly annoyed that i must do a quick little hop-step to hurry through the door that is being held, and then must follow up with an obligatory verbal thank you.

to avoid either inconvenience, one should simply avoid eye contact at all times, and always opt for the revolving door.

2 Comments:

Blogger that mckim girl said...

Wow, Mark. What a statement on humanity!

5:23 AM  
Blogger BB said...

Well, at least you're up on the A-List. Seriously, buildings in NYC are classified like that and clearly, with REVOLVING doors and multiple elevator banks bc it's skyscraper, kitchens, soda fountains and a cafeteria, this signifies an A-List building. Not to mention you work for an entertainment monolith!

I, however, am on the D-List. I have to contend with a swealtering or frigid "entry" by the 1 elevator that breaks frequently (naturally I'm on the top, though only the 6th floor but it's still a bitch to walk up). Oh, and about that entry, it's a key lock. And you can't not open the door for people when they stand outside, see you in there then don't even bother to get their key. That's what I hate. Clearly, I'm in the box, it's about 6'x10' so I'm going to notice someone at the door. But at least feign that you are looking for your keys. And do NOT just expect me to be Hop-Singh and get the do' for you! Hell to the no!! I ain't nobody's doorman.

Speaking of doormen, it makes me think of security. We don't have that. We have a super that smokes pot in the basement which you can smell in the elevator. That's it. No one with a smile on their face in the morning and when you leave. No one to even bring the mail! I have to trek downstairs and get it. And if I want to send something out, to the Post Office or a mailbox I go!

You may have to deal with the tourists on your way to work, but at least they speak English and don't throw fake "LouBaton" purses at you while yammering with nasty teeth on your way in. Oh, and you get to go in at 10 to be there by 10:30 too. So, enjoy your free Cokies up there in your tower with the stars.

(I ain't hatin' ;))

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home